Thread: ruf
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #19
The Radium King

I hear what you are saying regarding branding. I don't advertise anything for anybody either. no logo'd tshirts, ball caps, stickers on my car. i have in the past, when I was sponsored to do things back in the heydays of extreme sports, so i do understand the game.

however, do you take the hood crest off your car if Porsche doesn't give you a discount? file the sidewall of your tires if Michelin doesn't give you 10% off? heck, taking the hood crest off saves 2 ounces and improves aerodynamics! you'd be crazy not to, unless there's some reason you keep it on there ...

ruf is an auto manufacturer that occupies this odd grey area where they 'redo' other manufacturers cars. part of the deed they do is to rebrand the car with their logo. I can clone/pay tribute to what they do with their parts. I look at the parts list involved in the ruf engine conversion posted above and I can match that part# for part#, realising that not having a certified ruf installer involved means no COA (don't care). but also realising that part of doing the job properly is doing the rebranding that they do as well.

to really put a twist on things, what if jake raby supplied a coa and a 'Flat6' hood crest with every engine he built? his engine program is even more intrusive and complete than what ruf is doing with the 986/996 platform. perhaps work with rennline, brembo, momo, ksport, tarett, etc., to get 'Flat6' branded brakes, steering wheels, shift knobs, suspension, etc. you realise that most of the components sold by ruf for their 986/996 program are rebranded from other vendors ...
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote