View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrox View Post
Has anybody fitted spring & damper kits? I was thinking of the adjustable types that would allow you to easily change the ride firmness. Any ideas or thoughts.
This is a significant oversell and a good tuned suspension doesn't change easily and still work well. I have driven and right-seated a lot of Boxsters with modded suspension and honestly, some were quite awful. On the other hand, a carefully set up car is a dream to drive. The trick is getting it right.

Of the ones I have driven that got it right? Changing to a factory tuned ROW M030 kit with struts, springs and sways. You could goof this up but it would be difficult. M030 was carefully developed and it just feels great. The car is more precise, a little lower, but still quite comfortable on the street. For a dual purpose street/DE car this is what I would choose. It is also pretty reasonable at around $1100 plus install.

Adjustable struts? I like the PSS9 when set up properly. You can set your ride height and use the single-adjustable damper control to match dampening and spring rate. It's pretty much a set-it-and-forget-it deal because if you stray too far in dampening adjustments the car begins to lose that balance, sure-footedness and precision. These are more expensive both in hardware and the pro experience needed to set them up right. Plan to spend around $4k for PSS9s installed, set-up, corner balanced, and aligned. This is what I have on my car and it is the suspension choice of Boxster Spec Racing.

You could even spend more with JRZ, Moton, or Penske multi-adjustable dampeners to ring the last few % points from your setup but putting $8k suspension into an $8k car doesn't make much sense unless racing sponsors are footing the bill.

Last edited by Topless; 07-08-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote