View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
Perfectlap

I was into watches. I had a special edition Michael Schumacher Omega, a few Tag Heuer and was about to buy a GMT Rolex. Then I snapped out of it before my bank account paid the price of watch fixation. I'm a big fan of the workmanship but not the outrageous margins for mass produced watches. For instance, Rolex make over a million watches a year and for what is basically a $700 watch in the case of Sub, you pay a monstrous mark up. True they hold value, but that's a silly argument for any luxury item, one these watch makers use to make out like bandits. However there are a few watches out there truly are limited in numbers with astonishing workmanship that command huge prices on resale. But those are watches that cost more than a luxury car and have to stay in a glass display box. I saw these AP, RM, etc. watches were popular with the World Cup soccer players via their Instagram postings.

I don't even wear a metallic watch anymore. I use a Polar Loop activity tracker that has an LED display for time, steps, calories consumed, % of daily activity. It pairs with a heart rate strap via bluetooh. Unfortunately its not ANT+ which would interface better with smartphone apps and bike computer headunits but that's another story.

Steve0x, I have one of those Invicta Rolex "homage" watches too. It's an automatic with a Sellita movement (who supply ETA).
I think I paid $220 for it on that WorldofWatches site from Florida. It was a flawless beater watch. It keeps excellent time.
I also bought a Rotary Mecanique for like $200 from them as well. Pretty insane prces for Swiss made watches.
Just shows you how marked up all these watches are. It's worse than the mattress industry.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-08-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote