View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
FormulaReed

At a crossroads with my car

So I have owned my 1997 Boxster for about 3 years or so. When I got it, I knew that it needed new shocks but that was ok. The rest of the car seemed like it was in good shape, it had been given regular maintenance (stacks of receipts) and for a 97 with 90K miles, it looked great. I have owned a few Porsches, so I figured on having to fix a few things before I could have some fun with it...

And I have fixed lots of things and done nothing fun with my car, because things keep breaking and preventing me from doing any fun stuff with it. So far I have done the IMS (found because of metal in my oil) RMS, water tank, air oil separator, coolant fans and fuel pump. Stupid stuff just keeps breaking all the time. Now it has started making a nasty rattle sound when it starts cold and I think that I am at my breaking point. I got a euro M030 kit for it in december, but not had the time or money to install it and now I have the feeling like I will be spending that money fixing the stupid rattle.

So here is where I am at: I like my car, but because it breaks all time, I really don't enjoy it. So far, I have not been to the track or an autocross (the reason I got the car) because all the fun money goes to just keeping it on the road. It runs great, but it needs shocks so bad it's not really any fun to drive. Should I keep it? Any one have a story like this? Is there an end or do they just keep breaking? My 911 and 944 were totally great and reliable. So far, the Boxster has been just the opposite.
FormulaReed is offline   Reply With Quote