View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #39
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyakubuke View Post
the electrical power is only engaging the clutch on the compressor. the actual compressing (pumping) is done by the belt that is linked into the engine rotation. so obviously it takes energy to turn the compressor, more so when it is on and pumping freon (about 30hp).
however, 1/3 power loss does seem excessive. could be an issue with the pump or clutch. if it is not working correctly and is more difficult to turn, it could be putting more load on the engine. I would remove the belt, and apply 12V to the clutch wire with a jumper clip. Try to turn it by hand, If it turns moderately easily then the unit is normal. If it is really hard to to turn then the compressor or some other aspect of the AC may be defective.
Oh I see now. I was convinced it was linked to an immense additional power (current) consumption lol. Didn't realized it had to do with the AC pulley/pumping resistance. I'll get this one checked as soon as the engine panel is removed for sure.

* maybe not 1/3 but for sure it is missing more than 10-20 hp (on the butt-dyno scale anyway). Given I only have something like 200HP on the 2.5... that's a lot missing. Hate the AC!

So it's just mine then. I'll get that AC compressor checked out. Thanks for helping btw