View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 02:57 PM   #11
turtle

OK, after reading the posts I went back and asked one of my techs that builds our upgrade jobs about leaning, knock sensors, and the role played in an engine set up with variable timing. REMEMBER I am not a tech, so if I cross something up, I apologize -
He described the knock sensor's role these days as an effeciency device - keeps the engine running at peak gas milage. I asked him about leaning out and detonation and he said more or less as follows:
The process of leaning out is a cycle, I think he called it a spiral, and happens over several cycles. Evidently sensors in the exhaust loop can pick this up, and correct it in the place of the knock sensor. You will still get pinging, at idle, but this can be corrected by an elevated idle setting.
This whole knock sensor thing came to me by way of Carlos Alvarez, who works for the Service side of Nissan USA, and HE got the tip when he pulled the cats off his M3 (not sure of the year). Said the car was running like crap, and retarded so far it was stumbilng under hard acceleration. So it worked on a Bimmer, works on the Z's...
Is GIAC the premier chip proger for the Boxster? I will ask them...

And eslai:

It made us nervous too...we waited till someone came in with enough money and balls to try it. I sure as hell wasn't the test case.
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote