View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
truegearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
First, take off the accessory belt and see if the noise goes away. If it does, it's not the IMSB. If not, the IMSB is in play.

I don't see the Pelican as a complete upgrade. The bolt is clearly better as the stock bolt necks down in what, in an ivory tower analysis, would be a great stress reduction cross section, but what in the real world equates to begging for a stress failure. The Pelican bolt is far superior, so much so, I bought the kit just for the bolt. I was not impressed with the NSK bearing itself as it was not a sealed bearing and was steel. I replaced it with a sealed steel high temp Nachi 6204.

You also did not state if you replaced a double row with a single row, which the Pelican kit does. I would not make that move. In any event the bearing is equivalent to a timing belt and needs to be replaced on a regular basis. If yours is making noise, don't play around with it, replace it.
Removing the accessory belt is a great call. I think I'm just going to play it safe. I'll tow it to the shop, have them change the oil and inspect filter first. If there is no metal flacks we'll do the no-belt start up. A minute ago I was a man with a bad IMS, now I'm a man with a bad IMS and a man with a plan. I'm feeling better already, or maybe its the gin a tonics. Ether way thanks for the insight guys

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote