View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 04:06 AM   #1
piersman

1002 3.2 S - emulsified oil in coolant - lots of it!

Hi All,

Just as I thought I had a car capable of being used (after 6 months) it's kicked me in the teeth again. I finally got round to sorting everything out on the car, new roof, aircon, AOS, etc... and started using it last week for the 80mile round trip to the office.

Had an engine oil low flash message on Friday so on Sunday decided to top up the oil. It ws off the dipstick, and I added about .5 liters to get it back just registering to minimum. Seems a lot of oil I thought, probably .75 to a litre for about 250 miles.

So then , whilst in there I thought I'd check my water, oh dear. Not good, the coolant tank had nothing but emulsified oil/water in it, all the way down.

Can't say I'd noticed this before, but with having done so few miles in it, it's possible I've just not noticed.

So I drained down the coolant, got about 12 litres out, maybe a bit more, and reckon that 25% of what came out was emulsified. I guess I know where my .75 litres of oil went!

So... I read that it COULD be the heat exchanger, but unlikely. I've taken mine off and using a rudimentary thumb over 1 hole, suck on the other I managed to form a vacuum across the oil holes, so I don't think it's that. Also, the one on there is dated Jan 2013 so I suspect someone has already gone this route. I'll try to apply a bit more pressure this week to confirm it's not leaking.

Which will leave me looking at cracked cylinder head I believe?

Can anyone advise whether .75 litres of oil in 250 miles seems about right for this? Seems a lot of oil to have leaked through the cracks I've seen on photos in just 250 miles?

Anyone care to suggest a price to get this resolved these days in the UK, Reading area?

Anything else I could check?

Thanks all.
piersman is offline   Reply With Quote