View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 04:36 AM   #4
rfuerst911sc

There are shops out there that can perform this repair that is MUCH better than stock. If you have ever seen these bushings they are a real joke they look like a sewing machine thimble . I know this first hand as my 02 S 6 speed box had a severe case of jumping out of 2nd gear. I had no idea of previous history as I purchased this vehicle through a 3rd party that was not told by the previous owner that there was an issue with the transmission. Anyway back on topic. Here in Georgia I was fortunate to find an independent German car repair place that specialized in Porsche's. They had seen many 986/996 transmissions with 2nd gear issues. The shops owner ( a machinist ) developed his own repair using a VERY robust bronze bushing that really makes the OEM bushing look like a joke . He developed a fixture that allows him to " line bore " the case to be able to install the larger bushings. He also found on the net a gasket/seal that fits perfectly making this repair oil tight. The owner told me he's never had one come back for the same condition they are that stout. We did the " while your in there " thing to the tune of $2500.00 but my transmission shifts perfectly and I have zero worries it will occur again. I know Gbox is highly recommended and you should check them out but I would also go to a PCA event and ask around you may get lucky and find a local shop that can do the repair. In my opinion if you are planning on holding onto the car for any length of time repairing the transmission with the OEM bushings is not a very good option. Good luck with the repair and keep in mind 2nd gear is a weak spot on these transmissions.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote