View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 06:29 AM   #20
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisAN View Post
Right now I have a 1996 Miata and a 2000 base 986. Both are fun cars but the 986 shows its roughly 600 lb. weight disadvantage (approx. 2300 lbs. vs. 2900 lbs.). The 986 feels "planted" whereas the Miata feels "darty".
In the past I've also owned a 1400 lb. Bugeye Sprite and an 1100 lb. Lotus 7 clone (Westfield). Both of those make the Miata feel like a tank.
The 2.5 is dartier than 2.7 base car. If I were to buy a project Boxster it would be a 2.5
strip down the interior some, slap on lighter wheels, lighter exhaust, race battery, tighter suspension, maybe lighter brakes, and that's a ~2,600 lb. mid-engine dream. Service the IMS, look after the water pump regularly, and its very hard to beat Porsche wise. That engine feels better with the 5 speed too.

Once it gets heavier, IMHO, it needs at least 240-250 HP to feel darty off braking and out of slow corners. The extra power just changes the dynamics in those particular situations. But you can also add too much power (like maybe over 300 HP), where the car is doing more of the work than the driver. It's a fine balance when it comes to roadsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
Yeah, that's my point, people talk about the 986 being so "raw", but it's pretty cushy for a sports car.
Until you drive something newer. But I think all Porsches post 964 feel cushy and insulated to some degree. But at least they don't leave a wet spot in your drive way.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-13-2014 at 07:03 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote