View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #19
evomind

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlaan View Post
OK, so i picked up a really great condition 2000 Boxster base with 64k miles and a 5 speed transmission. I got a really great deal on the car knowing that the tires needed to be replaced and the brakes all needed to be done.

So, i brought it into my local porsche mechanic (highly recommended by several local folks) and they completed a PPI and a code check. In addition to doing the tires and brakes, they said i should do the following:

-Antifreeze flush/change
-brake fluid flush/change
-investigate an oil leak (not sure what this will uncover)
-replace spark plug tubes and spark plugs
-60k service (including oil change)

I had mentioned replacing the IMS with the LN bearing and they said if i do that i should just replace the clutch as well since it'd be the smart move (labor cost wise).

My initial thought was to go ahead and do it all, but then i realized that the bill was approaching $5k.

I don't want to skip anything that they recommended, but i brought up the IMS bearing, they didn't.

Am i past the point where i should really be concerned about the IMS? Instead of just having them proactively replace it and toss a new clutch in while they are at it, should i just plan on replacing the clutch and IMS at 75k miles? That would cut the cost by over 50%.

Really, i just want to get out and start enjoying the car - not have it sit in the hsop for the next two weeks (if i have them do everything).

Thoughts?
I love these threads....By the time they have you fixing everything thats NOT broken, you might as well just go buy a brand new Boxster.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote