View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
Perfectlap

Do you mind sharing the asking price? No need to tell us what you actually paid.

Here's my view of the IMS. Replace it.

My indy has a very competitive rate of $85 an hour. By my math the IMS is a one day job. Granted it a long day. The point is to reset the clock with a new bearing. Since tthese swaps became possible about 5 years ago, I've yet to see someone come on here, or any of the other Porsche forums, and complain that their engine went down after putting in a fresh bearing. Yet there have been plenty of threads by people who put it off (after replacement bearings became available) and lost their engine.
It's an expensive job, my ran about $3K. That's ~700 for LNE bearing (there are cheaper alternatives that will do the job, like the Pelican unit), $800 for the flywheel (no point skipping this), and the rest was labor. We also replaced the RMS seal with the Cayenne version, serviced the CV boots (both sides were torn by 70K miles), I think the book rate for that is two hours, well worth it.

As far as the waterpump. First, make sure you're on the latest cap from 2004 (it's blue). This is a $20 part that can open the door to engine failure if you keep one around for too long. Also, I flushed the coolant at about 50K miles (don't mix cheap coolant with Porsche pink coolant by topping it off). In retrospect the smarter move would have been to replace the coolant tank altogether, twice the cost but much better for engine longevity. I ended up getting another 30K miles out of the original water pump which seems typical but when it comes to the cooling system of a modern Porsche you have to take the airline maintenance view, best to replace these specific parts ahead of schedule and flush the coolant every two years. All that other stuff like suspension, wheel bearings, bla bla, you can delay without it royally biting you in the arse.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote