View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #12
BirdDog

First, congrats on getting your Boxster!

With 64K miles I'd also replace the water pump, in fact I'd think about replacing it every 35K miles or so. Probably a good idea to install a 160 F thermostat at the same time.

At your first oil change you want to cut the oil filter open and roll it out to see if there is any metal in it. Also check the bottom of the oil filter housing. Other things to look at would be swapping in a new filter housing (due to weak bypass spring on old one) or going to the LN-E filter adapter, and a magnetic drain plug (LN-E).

I'd also recommend having the AOS changed. These things apparently go bad all the time and if it fails you risk a hydo-lock which at high RPMs can cause engine damage.

IMS bearing - As far as doing it now or doing it later - that's up to you. If the bearing goes bad and your chain jumps, BOOM. You'll need an engine. If that oil leak is from the back of your engine (between engine and tranny), I would do it now, don't wait). If you don't have an oil leak from the back of your engine, and/or it's not making loud chain sounds, I'd probably wait until you have the clutch done and have them put in the Flat-6/LN-E ceramic bearing. Make sure your shop has the proper tools to do it (must be pressed in, not tapped in). With a 2000 you should have the dual row bearing, which has a better track record than the single row bearing (but they still do fail).

Last edited by BirdDog; 06-04-2014 at 12:58 PM.
BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote