View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #56
RedTele58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
well you could give the owner a warning before you hand it over to the executioner since you placed the trap outside your yard. Whether the cat is registered, neutered, vaccinated, etc. or not, at the end of the day it's a cat not a bird, or a dog or a chipmunk... going out looking for prey (what you call 'roaming') is what is programmed into its DNA. It's not programmed to stop chasing prey when the scent leads up to your property line. Dogs on the other hand can be trained to do such things but it's apples and oranges, one can't expect all animals to act the same out in nature. That's man fighting nature itself. Or at least demanding that nature abide by man-made rules. You live in suburb not a compound. I just have a hard time putting racoons, which are a threat public health and cats in the same cateogry requiring people to go Charles Bronson on them.

But I agree with your other points though. Irresponsible cat owners create lots of problems for others cat owners.
I should add that I know my neighbors cats, and I'd never "abduct" one of the cats I'm familiar with - I don't need to/want to hassle my neighbors. We all get along well and I wouldn't want to spoil that. The ones that end up in the trap are cats that aren't from the surrounding homes and they do get the chance to get chased away a few times before I bring out the trap.

I'm actually a pretty easy going guy when it comes to them running loose, and I'm not a cat-hater. There just comes a time when a problem needs fixed.

Rick