View Single Post
Old 06-04-2014, 08:01 AM   #54
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
If I start having a problem with a cat (after I give it a chance or two by chasing it away), I place a live trap next to my house. When I catch a cat, as I do a few times a year, I simply load the cat and the trap into my truck and bring it to the animal control facility. To get the cat back, the owner has to show proof of vaccinations (or pay to get it vaccinated there), show the cat is registered with the city (or pay to get it registered before it can leave), and they have to pay a fine for having an animal running at large. IE - they have to be responsible for their animal.

Funny thing is, I've never seen a cat again after I bring it to the pound.

well you could give the owner a warning before you hand it over to the executioner since you placed the trap outside your yard. Whether the cat is registered, neutered, vaccinated, etc. or not, at the end of the day it's a cat not a bird, or a dog or a chipmunk... going out looking for prey (what you call 'roaming') is what is programmed into its DNA. It's not programmed to stop chasing prey when the scent leads up to your property line. Dogs on the other hand can be trained to do such things but it's apples and oranges, one can't expect all animals to act the same out in nature. That's man fighting nature itself. Or at least demanding that nature abide by man-made rules. You live in suburb not a compound. I just have a hard time putting racoons, which are a threat public health and cats in the same cateogry requiring traps and putting them down.

But I agree with your other points though. Irresponsible cat owners create lots of problems for others cat owners.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 06-04-2014 at 08:13 AM.