View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #3
KevinH1990

I think you should definitely change the oil, brake fluid and the spark plugs and investigate the oil leak. Regarding the other jobs, you might be able to defer some costs for a while. There is a trade off in that you increase the risk of something going wrong as discussed below.

I expect that the largest expense will be replacing the IMS and clutch. Your 2000 Boxster should have a dual row bearing which has the reputation for being more durable than the single row bearings. While this may indicate that you can delay this job until the car really needs a clutch, it is a gamble since the bearing could fail at any time without warning. As an alternative you could install an IMS Guardian which would give you a warning and is less expensive.

I have about 90k on my 2000 and will be changing the plugs later this summer. At 60k I had only one cracked tube, so I'm not sure that replacing all the tubes is necessary. However, the labor will not be that much more since they will be doing the plugs.

I had to change my water pump at around 80,000 miles in the fall of 2013. You could consider waiting to do the anti-freeze flush until it is time for a new water pump. I had the original coolant in my car and it was not causing a problem.

Your tolerance for risk and your experience may differ from mine. Also, I don't know whether you have the time or inclination to work on your car, but with the exception of the IMS and clutch all of the jobs on your list are within the skill level of a decent mechanic and there are many DIY resources available on this and other sites.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote