View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
BrakeExpert

Is it an inline ABS system? I mean does the abs have a separate fill bottle?

This is a bit less than proper for some, but heres what I do when I flush my own brakes:

Run the bleeder hose a few inches up (like through the spring) and into a container. crack open the bleeder. When you push the pedal, fluid goes out (and air bubbles if thats the case). when you release the pedal, it may suck back in some fluid, but not the air, thanks gravity. I do this all the time as I have no local car friends.

As for air in the system. I've bled the old fluid out of the system, so its pretty much all new, clear fluid. What I've done is run a brake hose from the bleeder nipple all the way to the fluid resovoir on the MC. Yes, you may want towels for this - as brake fluid makes a decent paint thinner. when you open the bleeder, pump the pedal and fluid will make its way through the hose to the resovoir. check every 10 or 12 pumps to make sure the fluid level doesn't go low. By doing this, you can sit in the car and pump the pedal a hundred times or so and all of the air will push through the system, out the hose and into the resovoir where the bubbles float to the top and pop.

if the abs system works in the way that most other makes of cars do, this should work fine. I've done this on Hondas, Nissans, Astons, Toyotas and Mitsubishis and was never unable to bleed a car myself like this.

The bleeder hose by the way has an inner diameter of 3/16" if I recall. its roughly 30 cents a foot at a local hardware store.

Remember to bleed the outer bleeder valve first and then the inner one.

Hope this helps and that I'm not overstepping my bounds here.
BrakeExpert is offline   Reply With Quote