View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Just got my Boxster running after 2 years languishing on the drive following an MOT failure. We did around 100 miles once fixed before changing the oil but when we got the oil filter out it looked crushed - see photos attached. It looks like it didn't have an internal cage or its been washed through the engine, but I didn't find any bits in the drained out oil so hopefully no damage caused.
Maybe it absorbed water whilst being laid-up and then collapsed when the pressure got up. The only symptom was that the oil light took a couple of seconds to go out when starting up from cold (fine when warm). I did a few WOT runs upto 6k rpm testing the MAF sensor using an ODBII reader before and after cleaning so this may have put a bit more pressure on it.
I think next time we will change the oil and filter before putting back on the road....

Just for info MAF readings for a 2.5 with 157k miles on once cleaned were 3.5 g/s at tickover, 2000rpm - 30g/s, 3000rpm - 45g/s, 4000rpm - 55g/s, 5000rpm - 75g/s, 6000rpm - 90g/s.

Straight after cleaning I saw nearly 100g/s at just over 5000
Before cleaning the most I ever saw was 60g/s

Or, more likely, it was the wrong filter.