View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #92
aneal000

Garage
Boxster project update: on the reassembly I about gave myself a heart attack. One of the last things to do was put the camshaft end covers (those little green plugs) into the motor. I'm pushing the aft (sorry, boating term) one in place and can't access it with a hammer to tap it in so I'm using my thumb and it pushes all the way through into the motor. After some extreme concern, fear and freaking out I was actually able to fish it out through the scavenger oil pump hole. That was a scary 30 minutes of my life. So after triple checking everything I'm ready to fire it up. It starts and runs really smooth for a couple of minutes. Then develops a rough idle again. But nothing like before. Not knowing how it's supposed to idle I take it up the street and the check engine light comes in. Back to the garage... Check codes, misfire in cylinder 6... Wait, I was dealing with cylinder 3. That's good. And I was getting that code before I ever started this project. Could it be something as simple as a coil pack? Odd that it would go out at the same time, but ok. So I swap #5 & #6 coils, clear the codes and try again. Check engine light back on. Now a misfire in cyl 5. I'm so happy! Found one in stock at the dealer and everything is now perfect! Drove it around for a bit and actually ran into the previous owner at a stoplight on my madien voyage. Hit the gas station first to put some fresh (non three year old) gas in. Got a compliment on a beautiful car at the gas station. Then packed for a weekend at the lake and set off on a two hour road trip with the top down.

So, sincerely, I would like to thank everyone who helped point me along the way. This was an awesome and fun project. And very rewarding!

Last edited by aneal000; 05-25-2014 at 08:54 AM.
aneal000 is offline   Reply With Quote