View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
Topless
Track rat

Garage
My name is Topless and I am a batteryholic

I have 4 batteries in my garage with different pros and cons for different reasons. My experience:

1. Std lead Acid (Bosch) $120, 8yrs old and still works. 45ish lbs and the greatest reserve by far. Works with any battery maintainer.

2. Deka ETX30L $100, new in box. AGM, 17 lbs, 26AH rating- best reserve power rating of the AGM lightweights. Will work with most maintainers. I thought I needed it but it turned out to be simply corroded terminals and trans ground. Now I have a backup... oops.

3. Odyssey 680 $130, 4 yrs old and still works. AGM, 15 lbs, 16AH rating- just enough to start the car with limited reserve. Will work with most batt maintainers. I had a trunk light switch that failed and ran this batt dead flat twice before I found the problem. Running flat does cause damage and my reserve power is less but it still starts the car. This is in my track day spares box for PCA events just in case.

4. Shorai LFX36 $300, 2yrs old and works great, Lithium, 5 lbs WOW! 36 AH rating, 540CCA, needs special Shorai battery maintainer for best performance, starts the car and runs great but should be put on the special maintainer 1-2 times a year to balance the cells and get max performance. A standard maintainer will not sense when the battery is charged so it does not go into float. This can damage the cells by overcharging.

Conclusions:

As an all weather daily driver I would probably stick to a heavy duty Bosch or equivalent. They offer the highest reserve power and probably the longest life.

For a weekend joyride or dual purpose street/track car I would choose a Deka or Shorai depending on if you are comfortable with the extra care and feeding required for lithium. Both are very capable with decent reserve power. Remove the bulbs to both trunk lights so you don't kill your battery due to a failed switch.

For a full time track car I would choose one of the lightweights for sure. BSR rules require a minimum 10 lb batt so the Shorai is out for them. As I no longer run Spec class I have been running the Shorai and do like it even though it is a lot more $$. Saving 40 lbs is a big deal if you are racing, running competitive Time Trials or high level AX events where every 1/10th matters.

Choose wisely.