View Single Post
Old 05-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I spent this morning looking at Ferrari's and most of the people that I talked to were of the opinion that the 348/355 style are viewed within Ferrari circles much like the 996 is viewed within some Porsche circles (as somewhat of a low point in the history of the marque).

The 308/328's are picking up quite a bit of steam by collectors (this is the 964 equivalent) but the future classic seems to be the 360/430 (the next 993).
That's funny that they look down at the 348/355. I see those as the last of the analog era like the last of the air-cooled Carreras. The 360 seemed to me like a re-invention of Ferrari during the Montemozolo era. I remember an article where he said the first thing that struck him when he took over was that the quality control wing at the factory (ie. where they fixed molto errors) was almost as big as the actual assembly department! The era of the bullet proof F2000 F1 cars under Jean Todt coinciding with the arrival of the 360 and all its technological, power-boosting techological improvements seem more like the onset of the water-cooled era for Porsche. I guess the 348/355 didn't win over the purists while still being heavy, mushy cars... Not really the case with the water-cooled Carreras. I mean the idea that a weekend warrior in a 996 could get within mere seconds of a factory driver was big.

I think of 430 as the future 997.2 GT3. The last modern cars you could still get without the XBOX paddles.

p.s.
Where's Johny Danger
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-18-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote