View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #16
calvani

Hi Folks,

I know this car pretty well, as well as the owner, since I am that person!

I have to say it has been pretty amusing following this thread today. Let me clarify a few incorrect assumptions and add a few comments as well:

1) The chassis is not a roller. I bought the '01 Boxster (2.7L) in '03 for $32K. The chassis is absolutely mint. I simply decided to install a 997 engine after multiple attempts to fix the 2.7L RMS issues were not successful. And I was able to sell the original 2.7L for $4K (it was installed in a Boxster spec racing series car - actually, at the time, for the car of the PCA Chesapeake President).

2) The approx. $20K that I stated for the installation includes a Porsche 997 crate motor from Porsche of Annapolis, all associated parts (fuel regulator & pump, 996 new/light flywheel, 7.8 DME, State 2 Clutch Kit, Cayman Air Mass Meter, Maxspeed headers, Remus exhaust etc, etc....) ***plus*** all the labor. Not too bad, if you really see all the work that was done and the sheer quality of the execution.

3) The stock 5-speed gear box works just fine (and within tolerance). I don't track this car and really did not see the need to buy a 6-speed gear box when the installation was performed. Believe or not, I was actually trying to save a few bucks whenever possible (unless there was really a good reason for it).

4) Yes, the car is using 7.8 DME, so it is configured properly to run with Vario-Cam plus (i.e., with the electrical harness configured to correctly operate the 997 motor).

5) To my surprise as well (based on what I had read in this forum and Rennlist), this swap was not a time-consuming nightmare. I think the bottom line is (as with everything in life), that if you know what you are doing (as SSI Performance did) and you are methodical/systematic, any task can unfold pretty smoothly.

6) As for the price, note that I stated $45K **OBO**. I would entertain any good offer and in fact I have already gotten some inquiries from folks in Europe (with the Euro-dollar to their advantage; note that the US was not my only target audience for selling this car). Clearly, I am trying to recover the expenses for the engine swap. But I am confident that anyone who drives this car will agree that it runs as a very special and **unique** factory-like Porsche. If I get to sell it at a high price, I will make sure to let everyone know at the forum, since technically I am helping to increase the market value of our cars (or least the special engine swapped Boxsters)

I would be happy to answer any other questions.

Cheers,

Humberto-
calvani is offline   Reply With Quote