View Single Post
Old 03-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #20
SD987

"Sorry about the length probably much more than you wanted to know . . ."

Not at all, I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to provide detailed responses.

"Another question:
given the low mileage, can i get away with replacing only the one, or do i need to replace the other front tire as well."

The owner's manual states that up to 30% difference in treadwear is permissible on the same axle.

------

So reading your post prompted me to do something that I've been meaning to, and that is check out the emergency tire-inflation equipment that comes with the car.

For what it is, I'm mildly impressed. The air compressor looks to be of high-quality (plugs into the cigarette lighter). I guess the upside to this is that if I need to put air in my tires I no longer need to go to a gas station, which is pretty cool.

The sealant goodies stocking stuffer looks more robust than the can of "fix-a-flat" available at Los Tres Amigos, but obviously is limited in the situations it can be applied.

The stuff is accessible by unlatching the compartment at the bottom of the front trunk. I also found the little tool kit, I've read about.

All told, I feel a little better, but suspect that one day we'll read about some poor 987 owner whose bones were left to be picked over by prairie dogs when he caught a flat in the Mojave.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 03-10-2006 at 03:31 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote