View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 04:35 AM   #8
Benjamin

Garage
It may be easier, but there are a few reasons I would probably choose against it for my situation. 1) there would be the additional cost of filter adapter as well as the oil line. The oil line included with the kit is much longer than you would need to go to the oil filter. Finding the right oil line might be difficult. (I suppose you could loop the oil line and tie it up somewhere.) 2) The oil coming out of an oil filter scavenge plate may or may not be filtered (depending on design) and has not gone through the oil cooler. I can't find where I read it, but I seem to recall that the oil will be around 25 degrees cooler pulling it from the prescribed location vs. from the filter. 3) I already have the LN spin on adapter and for what I paid, I don't want to put it on the shelf.

The IMS Solution does what you suggest and pulls filtered oil from a filter sandwich plate, and they don't seem to figure that cooling is a problem, and Charles is a very good engineer. Their bearing design is different, so oil temperature may be less of a concern for the LN Solution. I don't know for a fact that 25 degrees matters for the DOF kit, but it certainly can't hurt.