View Single Post
Old 03-10-2006, 05:39 AM   #7
MNBoxster

HI,

I've been around Racing enough that I've seen many Tires Blowout at high speed. The results often aren't pretty.

I'm not a Fan of repairing a Performance Tire, because the Tire is compromised for further High Speed use. But, there is a repair method which will allow a Tire to perform on the Street (albeit usually for a shortened lifespan). This is the Plug & Patch method.

This requires unmounting the Tire, pushing in a Plug and adding a Patch over the Plug where it protrudes on the inside of the Tire. Then the Tire must be remounted and balanced for a proper repair.

Unfortunately, most Shops do not perform this repair unless specifically directed to do so, and most Drivers are either averse to the added cost - $50+, or oblivious to the procedure altogether and don't insist on it.

As mentioned, you, your passenger and your Car are worth biting the bullet and getting the Tire replaced, and so are the other folks on the road, like me. I don't relish the thought that drivers I'm sharing the Road with are all on compromised Tires. Let your conscience, not your wallet, be your guide...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote