View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
san rensho

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I got my EBS baffle installed last night and got the sump cover back on. I didn't take any photos because I was by myself and I was afraid the Loctite 5900 was going to set up before I could get the pan on and torqued.

I added 3 quarts of oil today. I am going to let it sit and watch for leaks. Although if there are any I will probably add the rest of the oil and drive it to a shop to see if they can redo it for me

Does anybody know how long it would be before a leak would appear? Right away? After I drive it and get the oil hot/thinner?

I used a razor blade scraper to remove the old sealant, followed by using a brass bristled brush to remove the remainder of the sealant. Then I used a cloth with acetone and then a cloth with denatured alcohol. I was able to get both surfaces very clean.

Putting the bead of sealant was very hard. Maybe I didn't cut the hole big enough or something (the hole in the tip must be small to make a small bead but maybe the hole I made on the tube itself was too small) but it was hard as #$%^ to squeeze out of the tube. After my first attempt on one side I stopped, wiped it off with a cloth with denatured alcohol, opened the tip a bit more, and continued.

For me the best result was when I didn't stop and could make a long continuous bead. Stopping and starting was hard, the bead of sealant wanted to curl around. I went around the outside of the bolt holes first, and then went back and connected the line so it went on the inside of the bolt holes.

If there ever is a next time I will look into some sort of squeeze handle tool like a caulk gun or some assisted way to squeeze/force out that Loctite.

The good:
Except for the back edge of the pan, where the cover seems to very slightly overhang where it bolts onto the bottom of the motor, and so I can't see there, I can see a tiny continuous amount of the black Loctite 5900 sealant squeezed out all the way around. I don't see it where the bolts are (probably because the flange is wider there and my sealant was farther away from the edge at that point) but on the rest of the pan I can see a nice steady little amount of black sealant extruded from the flange.

The bad: I think I have a blister from pushing on that #$% tube of Loctite 5900

I let it set overnight and put 3 quarts in first thing this morning and so far no leaks. After work I am going to put in the rest of the oil and go take a little test drive
I had the same problem. I haven't done this, but next time I drop the sump plate, I'm going to put the tube of sealant in very hot water for an hour or so before I seal it. Hopefully when its hot, it will flow better.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000