View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #1050
Shehadehd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoe View Post
This looks awesome, but doesn't it negate the down force created by the stock spoiler? I track my car and often hit 140+ mph. Thus far the car has stuck like glue and I've been leery of modifying the spoiler. What are the feelings on this?

I will say again, that it looks awesome and I want one. I just don't think it's a good move for a tracked car.

I've always been under the impression that the spoiler didn't create any appreciable downforce, but rather, counteracted lift. Considering the title "spoiler" I imagined it worked by "spoiling" the laminar flow of air above the car, slowing it down, and subsequently allowing the air underneath the car to exit faster than the air from above. Depending on how well the spoiler spoils the air above the car and how fast the air under the car exits, you would either get a vacuuming effect at high speeds, pulling the car to the ground, or less lift by reducing the speed of the air passing over the car versus that under the car. At low speeds, the spoiler may go down because the amount of lift reduced may not be high enough to warrant the possible loss of mpgs by the added drag from the turbulence caused by spoiler.

Of course, this is just what I came to the conclusion of- it may be completely wrong. But in any case, just by looking at the mounting points for the CF spoiler, I'm not sure if it could support the amount of wind force at 140mph. I've driven between 80-90mph with it up for 30 minutes continuously, but the amount of wind force you're talking about May require some reinforcement.... Again, I could be wrong.

https://www.enhancedautomods.com/shop/comfort-top
Shehadehd is offline   Reply With Quote