View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
Chalooch

Garage
Replace Catalytic Converter or Entire Exhaust System?

I own a 2004 Boxster S with just over 100,000 miles. The check engine light recently came on. I took it to my garage, which I’ve been going to for almost 10 years, they indicated that they read fault codes that indicated a bad O2 sensor and Catalytic Convert. They replaced the O2 sensor and the light came back on. I purchased a cheap OBD2 scanner and it indicates a P0420 fault code, Catalytic Converter problem. I've been ignoring the check engine light because my annual inspection is not due for a couple months. I had the car in for an oil change and more diagnostic today. They indicated that I needed a new cat and that the part would cost $1,900. They indicated that they only recommend installing Porsche manufactured catalytic converters. This price seems high when I compare it to purchasing an entirely new exhaust system from Fabspeed for under $4,000. I also priced the catalytic convert out from Discount Converter LTC (www.dicountconverter.com) for between $400 and $450, depending which one is causing the problem. Has anyone had experience with aftermarket catalytic converters? Please let me know if you have any recommendations on aftermarket catalytic converters or performance exhaust system. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chalooch
Chalooch is offline   Reply With Quote