View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #20
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
I don't think he intended for you to take it quite so harshly and certainly I don't think that it is an affront to your depth of knowledge. Throwing paragraphs at him in defense is a little over the top.

You have a lot of knowledge and you want to share it, that's fantastic, but sometimes you can be a bit overwhelming in your demonstration of that knowledge. Even the most knowledgeable of experts can be questioned, y'know?

Sometimes anecdotal evidence is all we have to go on. This guy's experience showed that he got a 50% reduction in gas mileage when desnorkeled. It may not be very scientific, but neither are your anecdotal claims that a strut tower bar improves handling yet you continue to defend those.

This 987 owner stands by his claims; they warrant discussion.
Hi,

Actually, I think he did. Using upper case in Internet Courtesy is akin to shouting and there were no emoticons to indicate otherwise. Most people would have taken it the way I did.

Thank you for your compliment on my knowledge, but that's merely a discovery and retention of fact - I did not invent this stuff - those are the really smart People! Most of what I learned was passed on to me and has stood the test of time if nothing else. But, I am always ready and willing to be challenged. If I'm incorrect, I want to know it and I also want to learn, so no problem there. If you feel I'm overwhelming, point taken. Read my posts and avoid looking for inferences and other meaning and maybe it won't seem so overwhelming.

Agreed, anecdotal evidence can be a good thing, it leads to further exploration and confirmation, but lacking this, it must always be viewed with some skepticism, maybe even much skepticism.

So far as my claims for the Strut Braces, there is some degree anecdotalism in my claims, but not totally. I took a couple pieces of kitchen string and attached one end to a Stud on each Strut Tower. I joined the Strings in the middle with a Glue Stick sufficient that they would withstand a little tension. Then I ran the Car 3 times on a twisty road with left and right handers and some off-camber surface. The string broke each time. After installing the Front Brace, I used the String setup again, 3 runs on the same road, same weight, speed. The string did not break once proving that the Towers do indeed move in opposition.

Also, I ran a favorite stretch of road, same weight, speed, tire pressure and noted at what speed the Car broke loose. After adding each Brace, I ran it again in duplicate conditions (identical to the degree allowed by Quantum Physics which states that no two events can ever be the exact same), and was able to increase my speed by 7MPH, then 12 MPH respectively. Add to this that virtually everyone who has done the install has confirmed my claims. This is somewhat more empirical than simple Feel. And, you can do the same thing and you will get the same results - it is repeatable!

There were any number of reasons why the Lister experienced a 50% reduction in MPG, independent of the action of removing the Snorkle, including the possibility that he didn't experience a reduction at all, but only thought he did because of some factor which he didn't account for.

As I stated, the only function of the Snorkle is to reduce Noise. The Intake System of the 986/987 are identical in the way they function (though not truly identical). Many 986 Owners and 987 Owners have sucessfully de-snorkled with no ill effects. This further leads me to believe that the Lister was mistaken and merely concluded an invalid Cause & Effect...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 03-08-2006 at 12:46 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote