View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I disagree with this. you can bleed the clutch by just taking off the reservoir cap putting on a piece of tube long enough the clear the trans cover plate on the bleeder nipple and opening the bleeder on the clutch slave cylinder two hole turns take about 6 to 10 minutes to clear air and get about 2 to 3 tablespoons of fluid out. I found this out the hard way while replacing the clutch the first time several years ago. I disconnected the tube to the slave cylinder had the transmission out on the floor, then went in and ate supper. I returned after about an hour and a half the reservoir empty on the floor of my garage. When I install the tranny again this is how I bled out the air, no tools no pumping pedal up.

I now use a vacuum bleeder pulling several ounces of fluid at a time with no other steps while flushing or replacing the fluid. I bleed the system allot, and have never touched a pedal until finished. I use a vacuum tool, and thin tube adaptor and suck all the fluid I can from the reservoir. I refill the reservoir usually with another color fluid. I brake open the rear inside bleeder of the passenger side draw fluid until the color changes. Top off reservoir, go to outside port repeat, top off again. Then repeat on the drivers side. Then the clutch. Front Passenger side then driver side. I do this with the car on a lift without removing a tire in most cases and it take 45 to 60 minutes, and 1 liter of fluid. No pumping no pedal in a special position. I had early on put Teflon sealing tape on all the threads on all the bleeder nipples to improve the seal. Careful not to get it on the tapered end of the nipple.
The recommended method is to use a power bleeder and bleed the clutch with the pedal on the floor. If the pedal is not down during the entire procedure, the system is not fully flushed.