View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 02:32 AM   #20
fatmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythemufflers View Post
Perfectlap, why should you change the oil every year if the car just sits? I cant see the oil breaking down if the engine isnt running. I would assume it would be no different than a quart of oil sitting on the back shelf collecting dust at the auto parts store.

Im not saying this to be argumentative, i just dont get why. Maybe if the car was stored outside exposed to the elements. With the number of posts you have i can only assume you know something i dont

Why? Moisture in the oil is not your friend. Moisture in the oil built up over a decade? That's really not your friend. Do a search and look at folks go through to winterize their car every year. Ask yourself what happens to engine rings on cylinder heads (metal on metal) when it sits for a year, or 3 years, or 5 years, 10...?

You come to this board with folks with lots of hard earned lessons, ask some questions and get some answers. Maybe you like the answers and maybe you don't. But you've gotten a very consistent set of answers and you can choose to listen or not.

If it's me, I would change the all fluids. All means all. Brake fluid needs flushed every two years (not every 2 decades), the "lifetime" coolant is really good for 6 years. The filters (air and cabin) are probably crumbling. If your engine air filter crumbles, it could effect your MAF sensor (google) which will cause engine issues. This is a 5 minute DIY project that will cost $25. Belts on these cars need to be replaced regularly. Guess what happens to 20 year old belts (whether they were driven or not?). I would drive to the tire store to put new tires on, and that's about it on 20 year old tires.

Replace the coolant cap. Simple fix to prevent some serious issues.

I would put in a new IMS bearing. Why? Because the single row bearings fail at a rate near 10%, and many seem to suspect that the highest risk cars are the ones that got driven the least (and the oil sat around for years...). A failed IMS instantly grenades your engine. Period.

Did you buy a time bomb? Let's just say there was a class action law suit about the engine and there are plenty of facts out there about the weak spot in the engine (the IMS bearing). I didn't choose to replace my IMS, in part because my car was nearer to the end of it's life. Yours is at the START of it's life.

If you're not willing to do some preventative maintenance, this is the wrong car for you. The good news is this is easy stuff to fix up, then you'll have a cool reliable fun car.

Good luck with your new ride & welcome to the forum.

/

Last edited by fatmike; 04-24-2014 at 04:55 AM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote