View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 05:46 AM   #8
Timco
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
Can I "trust" the wear indicator light (on the panel) to accuratly alert me when my brakes need to be replaced? Since I don't work on the car myself, i'm hesitant to just "open my checkbook" and take it to my indi shop and ask them to check them.....they already told me to expect to pay $800-$1000 for a 4 wheel brake job (w/ceramic pads, new rotors, labor).

If the wear sensor light can be trusted to light up when they need replacing I'll just wait. The brakes seem fine and I'm easy on the car so I'm hoping the sensors really work.

Any advice??
The wear sensor is a wire stabbed into the pad. If it wears until the wire grounds out, it trips. So yes, the sensor is reliable, but once it trips, you have to buy a new one. Another $40 or so. It's like a 6-10 minute job to pull the tire and pull the pads. Unless rotors are too thin, just drop in pads.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote