View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 07:03 AM   #15
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteichman
Oh great, now I have to worry that I overfilled the oil! Luckily I have not driven it since I put in that quart

To everyone else about my measuring it correctly. I guess I did not understand you, sorry. I used the digital guage while stoped for gas. I believe this is what the owner's manual says to do. The only time I checked the dip stick, it had sat overnight and it did "seem" low, although its sure hard to read with clean oil (it was changed about 1,200 miles ago). After I added the quart (the car had been driven for about 20 minutes), the digital guage did show "over full"

Well I guess I'll see on Friday. You know I usually don't bother with any of this kind of stuff and just "use the car". Its only from reading this forum that's got me paranoid about checking every little think to make sure its right.
Hi,

I once overfilled my Boxster, when it was new to me, just like you. Rather than open the Drain Plug (where controlling the amount of Oil drained would be impossible), I got some Poly Tubing thin enough to run down the Dipstick opening and, using a MityVac and Catch Cup, was able to extract it. The Catch Cup was a Brake Bleeding attachment, so it only held 1 cup, so I drained it into an Oil Bottle with graduations so I could measure the amount.

If you own these tools this is the way to go. If not, it's not worth the expense, so you will have to drain it from the bottom. Use a clean container and you'll be able to re-use the Oil, minus 1 Quart of course... Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote