View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #16
Xcellr8

Removing security lugs bolts - sucess.

This topic makes me a little nervous because for many of us with stock 17 inch wheels the theft protection probably isn't really needed. Who is going to steal those wheels in the days of 18" 19" etc wheels? But, if you have a higher end optional wheel then the security lugs make sense.

During the process of repairing, rebuilding, and parting, I've gotten pretty good at getting those off. At first I bought every security socket that I could (priced reasonable) looking for exactly the one I needed. When I couldn't find exactly what I needed, then I took one that matched at least 4 of the slots and used a dremel tool to remove the other bumps. That worked great, but even then it could be hard to match every application. Finally, I had one car left that I didn't have an acceptable fit, so the socket and hammer method came to mind.

At first I tried a normal socket. I guess I'm not willing to beat the heck out of a Porsche, because I could NOT get the socket on well enough that it didn't come off when then turning with a wrench.

Next I tried a Craftsman #13 Bolt Out (see photo). It worked very well. You slam it on with a sledge, then turn. It is designed to grip the bolt head tighter as you turn, but be careful, if it does slip, it will shave the metal and then, because the diameter of the bolt head has been reduced, it won't get as good a grip on the bolt the next time. WARNING, it will severely scare the head.

To the moderators, I'm okay if this determined to be too much info for the bad guys and deleted. I'm hoping only the good guys will find it, but that's really more like wishful thinking.

Hesitantly,
Joe

Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote