View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
So for the second time, my LN plug has failed, the shoulder has sheared off again from the threaded section. The first time it failed made sense. I had overtorqued it since Pelican said the torque value was the same as the OEm plug, 37 ft-lbs. They have since changed to the correct spec of19 ft-lbs. The new plug I have has been removed maybe 3 times and always torqued to 19.

I had noticed some oil on the garage, so a couple of nights ago I put down a piece of cardboard and had a good amount of oil on it in the morning. I thought, great, its the RMS or IMSB that failed. I looked under the car and the mating area between the motor and tranny were perfectly dry, whew!

Then I note a drip from the plug. when I put the torque wrench on it, the shoulder came completely off. I was very close to losing all the oil in my car.

I just don't have any confidence in the LN plug any more. Is there an alternative mag plug?
Weird. Unless it was a defective plug to begin with, there has to be something wrong with your torque wrench or sump cover (burr or ridge around the drain hole). We also have been using the LN plug since it was introduced, and with many, many customers running them for several years, we have yet to see a failure.