View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #11
MNBoxster

Hi,

Yea, I didn't want to Freak You Out, but you were so insistent that you checked the level properly (which I still am not sure of) that if that's eliminated, there has to be another cause. The Oil won't simply Vanish. Somewhere on the list of possibilities is a Head Gasket and I was merely adding to what bmussatti inferred.

Yes, a proper PPI should have caught that if they did a Leakdown Test, but I suspect there's a lot of variation in the PPIs done out there. It should take a minimum of 3-4 Hrs. to do a proper one and if paying $200-$300, that's sufficient time if the Shop Rate is $45-$60/hr., but if the Shop Rate is more, they're scrimping somewhere. I have done proper PPIs for people buying Lotus Cars in the area, while I don't charge them, I do invest at least 3.5 Hrs. and check it all out, never had a single complaint over several years.

Like Randall says, I suspect it's a measuring problem. But, each graduation on the Digital scale is worth more than a Cup. I believe it's best to keep the Oil level consistently in the middle of the Digital Readout because of the inaccuracy. Unless the Readout stays on constant (meaning you're low), anything in the OK range is OK. It's a quasi Dry Sump system with active scavenging rather than a gravity return, so there's plenty of Oil in there, even on the lower end of the OK scale. Too much Oil is a BIG problem because it can damage the Cat(s). Hope this eases your anxiety somewhat...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote