View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
Benjamin

Garage
The inner CV joints are back together with new boots and clamps. Getting the wide end of the boots on is somewhat of a challenge, but by the 4th one I think I figured out a technique. For the outers, the key was to have the axle straight out from the CV. I rested it on my shoulder while pushing on the boot. To get the end to go on I got the bottom side on first and then, with both thumbs behind the first ridge, with firm pressure I slid my thumbs around to meet at the top. If the top doesn't want to come out to go on the outside of the flange and keeps getting caught on the inside edge, you can squeeze and pull back a bit on the 2nd ridge to make the lip flex outward. The inners are a little easier (if the trans is removed and you're sitting under the car) because you can see and reach things a little easier.

As far as CV assembly, I have seen other threads that people say they reassembled everything and the joint wouldn't flex. The first time I tried, that's what happened. The inner and outer races have angled bearing surfaces where the balls ride. Since they are angled, there are skinny and wide spots on the face of each race. If you line up the skinny spots on inner and outer race, it will go together, but no flex. Line up the skinny on one with the wide on the other, and it all works. I wish I would have taken pictures.