View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
mgfranz

Garage
So I did some troubleshooting this morning, pulled the console and lower body panel covers to have access to everything. I Made sure the master fluid reservoir was full before anything.

Checked the cables and linkages for loose or obvious broken parts both at the console and at the tranny, had a helper go through the gears for me while I inspected, nothing was obviously inoperative or damaged, all gears worked smoothly and without effort with the engine off.

Thinking "what do I have to lose", I did a quick bleed test by having my helper hold the clutch pedal to the floor while I cracked the bleed screw on the slave cylinder, first indication that something was wrong was that the bleeder screw was just barely over finger tight but opening the valve fully produced only a small trickling of fluid, but no air. Closed the fitting and had my helper push the clutch a couple times and then held it down, again I cracked the bleeder screw almost a full turn, no air, but again, only a trickle of fluid, more like drops really. However, once we did a mini bleed of the slave, with the vehicle on jacks I was able to go through the gears with the engine running, although it did require a bit more effort to get into gears, possibly due to there being no rolling resistance on the vehicle since it is still on jack stands. Pedal seemed a bit firmer too.

So... Either my hydraulic system is clogged, or the master and slave are not moving fluid at the required pressure. A clogged system again doesn't sound possible since everything was fine prior to the issue. If one of the internal seals of either the master or slave has gone bad, would this be a cause of my issue, again, there are no obvious leaks anywhere in the system. I wish there was a way to fully test the master/slave system prior to replacing...
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote