View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
Shehadehd

Garage
The all-new Comfort Top :)

I think this thread deserves a little background history... Ever since I decided to buy my boxster of a BMW z4, I've had a small amount jealousy towards the automatic convertible tops in the BMW. of course, after a week with the boxster, that was the only thing I was jealous of. Butttt still... I went out looking for any solutions to this problem. I found that pelican parts sold a smart-top module that brought one-touch operation, but it was wildly more than I wanted to spend ($380 + shipping). I came across robo-top, which I really liked, but the modification to the relay module to make it work without the handbrake or speed limit, made me afraid that I (or a passenger) might operate it at high speeds.

Recently, I've been waiting for my clear engine covers and mounting hardware to be manufactured and had some time to revisit the topic. I figured, I might as well take a shot at making my own one-touch top relay. After a lot of reverse engineering and simulation time, I have finally finished! the modded relay module now has the following abilities:

One touch open/close
Manual open/close
Automatic service mode from opened or closed position
no handbrake operation (without bent pin)
open/close top from 0-20mph (one touch operation)
Calibrate-able open/close times (more accurate service mode position)
Plug-&-play (no wiring needed)

I have to admit, driving through the city and being able to just press the open or close button is sooo nice... and judging by the number of head turns, it's apparently pretty cool too lol.
Here's a quick little video of some of the features. I hope you guys like it and sorry about the weird video resolution

Basic Functionality

Speed Test

Instruction Manual

The other day I was at the local Porsche dismantler and saw an ad about a PCA sponsored porsche swap meet on June 1st, I though it would be cool to make a couple of these and some engine covers to have a little stand and either sell them or trade them for other cool porsche parts. I've already mode four and ordered four more relays to retrofit this week. Of course, all of you here are welcome to the "comfort-top" relay as well

.... Now I just need to make an automatic latch for the top lol.

https://www.enhancedautomods.com/shop/comfort-top

Last edited by Shehadehd; 07-16-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Shehadehd is offline   Reply With Quote