View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
black_box
DIY extremist

New car finally arrived. What have I gotten myself into?...

Just took delivery of a Guards Red '07 Cayman S, built to terrify.

She had an IMS failure two years ago and instead of a stock engine replacement, received an LN engineering-installed 3.6L lo-comp build, with all new forged internals, and a TPC stage 3 turbo, liquid intercooled with electronic boost control. To keep planted, she has a full coilover suspension, along with all new links, TPC stabilizers, and poly bushings. The interior has a racy look and feel as well, with a factory short shifter, carbon fiber trim, body color console, belts, stitching, and floormats. The FVD airbag-equipped sport steering wheel is really nice. Didn't think I'd prefer it over stock, but the pistol grip finger molding at the 9 and 3 o'clock position, along with thumb rests at 10 and 2 makes it feel very racy.

She looks and drives like a missile. By far the fastest car I've ever been behind the wheel. Nowhere near as civilized as a 991S, but feels a lot quicker once into boost. Boost isn't super usable on the street though, as it tends to kick in right around the time that you want to shift in normal driving, about 3k. If you hang onto the gear though, the rush of speed between 3.5-6.5k RPM is hair-raising and will put you into go-straight-to-jail speeds within a couple of seconds.

The PO must have liked to ride really low -- I couldn't even clear speed humps in my neighborhood and had to increase front ride height by 20mm to keep from scraping.

Can't wait to get her onto a track!

black_box is offline   Reply With Quote