View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
Perfectlap

Seasonal allergies/infections & top down driving

Thought I would share this experience. It was a result of bike riding (fixed gear track bike for those who ride) but this could just as easily have happened to me driving the Boxster.
I traveled out of state for a family obligation in Florida. I went on the bike for the first time. I noticed there was some manner of rag weed on the dog when it would come back from playing outside but I failed to cover my nose or mouth like an idiot. I even have one of those half balaclavas I could have worn. I came back from the ride with not even sneeze or sniffle. Fast forward 24 hours and I walk out of bed with a splitting head ache and fever. I take two ibuprofen and drink three bottles of water and within an hour its all gone. So I thought... headache and fever come back with a vengeance. Like I've never had a headache like this. Even moving my eyes left to right hurts. Being out state I go to one of these walk in type clinics and actually manage to score a real doctor. She does a flu nose swab test that comes back negative. She prescribes Tamiflu, Zyrtec and antibiotic "Z pack". Does nothing. Huh? Instead Headache and fever go up (99-104), albeit not quiet danger zone fever. After 48 hours of sitting on the couch in bad mood I head to the local emergency room with as I'm now wondering if its something more serious slowly picking up steam, namely meningitis. My insurance requires a $100 copay for ER visits. I'll pay $100 to make this headache from hell go away. They do a CT scan. 10 minutes later the attending comes back with a bottle of...... Flonase. Turns out the attending is not a doctor but physician's assistant (best job ever imho, less student debt, portable degree, excellent pay and hours). Regardless, both fever and headache are gone WITHIN 10 MINUTES. pulling hair out...grrr... why didn't I do this myself!!

On the one hand, thank the Lord I have insurance, because no way in hell do I walk into an ER with only my credit card to protect me. Paying to see a U.S. Med School educated doctor with 20+ years experience apparently wasn't enough to solve the riddle. So if you're not barred from using Flonase by your doctor, keep in the glove box. Sinus inflammation can wreak havoc quickly.

P.S.
Wear sun block under your clothes, specifically to the skin like your legs, that is exposed directly to the Sun when your driving top down. Your clothes are not UVA/UVB safe, especially thinner summer cothes. My skin doctor asked if I go to the beach a lot. I never go to there! Lots of time in a roadster has the same effect it seems. Too many moles according the Doc.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-30-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote