View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
rfuerst911sc

Back in the early days of synthetic oil it was common when switching from dino to synthetic would cause leaks, some minor some severe. But that was back in the 70's and a lot has changed in regards to engine gaskets and synthetic oil. I run Brad Penn or Valvoline VR1 in 20w50 in my 1983 911SC. The technology at the time this engine was built plus the thermal expansion/contraction of the air/oil cooled engine leads me to believe a quality dino oil is the way to go. In my new to me Boxster S I will run synthetic. I'm pretty sure I will use Joe Gibbs Racing DT40 which is a 5w40 synthetic, mainly because Jake Raby recommends it. But for street driving most synthetic oils will probably be sufficient but I would never go long with change intervals, 5k max between oil/filter changes for me.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote