Thread: Handling issue
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
seawind

Mine did that. Just a couple months ago. The car, actually my Mistress, has 140+k miles (okay, my older Mistress, perhaps a Madame even). Daily driver, about 1500+ mile a month. One day I just felt her 'go' a little loose, on the freeway, particularly over the rain grooves. All tires were in need of replacement, as well as the rear lower control arms. My rear tires in particular where uneven in wear pattern, almost bald on the outer edges with more tread on the inside - obvious alignment issue. It continued to get worse, so that I actually had to substantially tone down my driving. Then the front lower control arms started creaking and groaning, and the front steering went from being perfectly tight to a very minimal play (1/4 inch). I have had the tires replaced last month, but without the alignment until I get the control arms replaced this month. The tire replacement took 80% of the 'weaving' out of the car on the freeway rain-grooves. The handling is substantially improved, so much I am back to speed. The car is not as tight as when I first got her, and the front play is still there, but is not as noticable; I hope replacing the four control arms along with the rear track arms will bring her back to her glorious youth.
seawind is offline   Reply With Quote