Thread: IMS replacement
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
kindlethespirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
When a tech recommends to replace the clutch like that, ask him questions.

i.e. what is the thickness of the original? What is it right now? How long will this last?

If those questions are answered, your decision will be very to make. If it only lasting you several months, just go ahead and service the clutch.

If you think $1300 is too much for the clutch service ask him about the service duration and his labor rate. If you think his service duration is outrageous, negotiate w/ him.

When I spoke to him today, he said that the flex disc was fine and he just recommends replacing the clutch because the transmission is already out of the car. It's not that the clutch is close to being worn out. I understand what he's saying, but if there is 20-30K miles left on the clutch, I'm not going to replace it when that will ultimately be 5 or more years away. I don't have an extra 1300 when I have to spend another 2k on the Mercedes this spring. The estimate just came in at 1900 for the Pcar, so that's 4K combined. I have to spend it where I have to and replacing a non worn out clutch just doesn't work right now.