View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Polaris

At first, I thought kcpaz's answer was terse and a little too succinct. Turns out, no, he was right on. Thanks kcpaz, rick3000 and mikefocke for chiming in, it is much appreciated.

Top came off without an issue...at all...not even a hard-to-undo bolt or broken ball joint. I didn't realize that the post 2000 tops have no electronics/microswitches in the top, so it was stupid easy. The instructions I was reading that most frame removal posts point to only mention a couple caveats for 97-99 models for microswitch placement, but don't say anything specifically about 2000+, so I had no idea what I was going to find microswitch wise...apparently nothing.

The whole process didn't even take 45 minutes. I bet I can do it again in the future in less than 20. The clamshell works just as if the top was still there, so the dash light turned off and everything. I just had to press the close button as normal to close it all back up.

I'm not new to sewing/upholstering, and I've replaced tops on a miata and a vw cabriolet, so sewing in a new window isn't too intimidating to me.

I ordered a new sewing awl and DOT approved window vinyl from sailrite.com, $45 for the vinyl, $15 for the awl, and $7 for some canvas/sunbrella strength basting tape and I'm ready to go when that gets here on Friday. I'll post pictures of my results when I'm done.
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote