View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #17
DennisAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbrown77 View Post
3) Honestly, the absolute worst part was the time we wasted trying to square the instructions in 101 Projects with the instructions that came with the single row kit. In essence it boils down to this: Do I lock the crankshaft at TDC and install the camshaft lock (per instructions) ..... or.... do I just mark the camshaft positions with a grease pencil and install the setscrews in the IMS flange holes to hold the sprocket in place (per 101 Projects)?. You can't do both since you can't install the setscrews without turning the crankshaft. I probably pissed away an hour trying to resolve the conflicting instructions. In the end, I locked the crankshaft at TDC with the kit-supplied pin and camshaft lock plate.
One mechanic here says you should follow the "LN instructions" and not the "101 projects instructions". He says using the set screws may push the chain drive flange off position on the intermediate shaft - apparently it's a press fit. Unfortunately the LN instructions - on a single page - are very terse. I'm going to work up an expanded version (e.g. what kind of Loctite to use at what place) before I tackle the job this summer. In any case my 2000 has the 5 chain drive which is supposed to be less likely to jump teeth.