View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #345
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
All the high temp paints I can find locally are for metal. Will they work on the plastic of these headlights?
Hey Norm

It will be fine given you do not flex the parts you paint after they have fully cured. Curing can take weeks so you have plenty of time there!

My understanding is metal paints lacks of elasticity polymers. If the plastic part you are painting will eventually require flexing then metal enamel paints may not be the best solution. In your case, the part will be fixed and secured with 3 screw inside the headlight so in that case you are good to go with anything off the shelf within the high temp paint series.

Surface prep is a must. Use a min/max #600 grit abrasive paper (wet sanding) and do this with gloves on (no no finger grease mate). Higher than #600 is pretty useless and lower may/will show scratch marks. I also heard "professional" use a primer before applying paint.... but I am far from being a professional painter. The less chemical fumes I breath the better

A happy sunny Sunday afternoon job