View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #16
RedTele58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 818BoxsterS View Post
I've been waiting for a thread like this but I have a feeling this is going to lead to "a teen shouldn't have a porsche .... Spoiled.. Blah blah" argument.
Not at all - I'm all for you young guys driving a P-car! I think you're a lot better off than driving a Camaro, Challenger, Mustang, Ricer, etc.

I'm 55. I started at 15 w/ a '62 VW that I rebuilt the engine on with the help of my Dad - that hooked me forever on German cars and German engineering. In the next 6 years I had Beetles from a '56 to a '68. Had a '62 VW Bus and a '70 Karmann Ghia.

At 21 I bought my first Porsche - a rusty '67 911.

Then came a 924, several 944's, a 914, 3 different '84 928S and my 986 Boxsters - 4 in all. Also a '99 996C4 and I just bought another 914. I've also had a few Audi's over the years.

I've always owned at least one Porsche , and usually several, for the past 34 years. Right now I have 10 in the stable; 6 drivers and 4 projects.

I'm saving my dollars for a 2004 996 GT3 and hope to swing one next year before they become as expensive as unobtanium.

There's only two P-cars I've wanted that I'll never be able to afford - a 356 and a Carrera GT. And if I ever win the lottery...

So I think you young guys should drive your Boxsters, learn to work on them, break them, fix them, work hard and save your money for another P-car and continue the cycle I started many years ago. You'll have a blast along the way!

Rick