View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #60
DennisAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganseg View Post
sometime in 2000, they switched from two rows of ball bearings to one row. The statistics used for the law suit says the dual row had fewer failures than the single row. Later (I think 2006) a bigger single row was used that appears to have fewer problems. Mine is a 2002 S.
From what I've read it's not that simple. Any MY 2000 car "should" have a dual row IMSB. But there's no simple engine serial number cut off. Single row IMSBs started appearing apparently at random in 2000 and there were many dual row IMSBs still installed in MY 2001 cars. I specifically sought out a MY 2000 car since it wouldn't have the casting problems of the 2.5l cars yet it "should" have a dual row IMSB. My engine serial number is in the "safe" range....but that's not conclusive.

So this summer I plan to drop the tranny. pull the clutch and flywheel, and inspect the IMSB cover. Only then will I know for sure which IMSB I have. If it's a single row I'm putting an LN bearing in. If it's a dual row.....I may just put it back together with a new RMS and clutch and forget about it.
DennisAN is offline   Reply With Quote