View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #20
mcomet

You do have to decide if you will miss the convertible or not. That's probably the biggest question. For me after about a year in the 986 I realized my wife was not a convertible person, and for myself while there are small times i miss it a little, I don't really that much. I don't miss having to always wear sunscreen or a hat, or trying to put the top down when it's super cold, or super early, just because I can and it looks better and it's a convertible. Now I can be on the freeway, have the windows down, and pop the windows up. Definitely NOT the same as a proper convertible, but as often as I might miss it I know I made the right decision. For the wife it was always too hot, too cold or too windy/mess up the hair. heh.

I also cosmetically prefer the Cayman...that's a personal preference. I think the boxsters, all gens, look ok with the top down, but the Cayman lines flow more for me. And as you mentioned any move forward will be a step up in interior. I jumped from a 2003 986 Boxster S to a 2014 Cayman S. The difference in interior build and features is of course significant. Electronics features alone made it worthwhile for me. The other big thing was power. The 986 S wasn't lacking when you wanted to have some fun, and was more than enough for twisty back roads, but on freeway unless I really really kept the revs up it felt a little slow. The 981S I can put my foot down even in fifth gear and the car will move. Downshift and you'll be flying beyond speed limits. I don't think you'll have this issue in the 987 but the 981 the gearing is a bit odd, too long in the bottom and too short on the top. Means even less shifting and torque feel which is sad. Which is something else to keep in mind. How fast is too fast? There were times in my 986 I'd enjoy shifting 3 or 4 gears. On the 981 I have to downshift just to have the fun of shifting back up 2-3 times. And you're out of legal speeds very quickly.

The handling of the 981 is just amazing. My old 986 did NOT have PSM so I certainly was lacking that, but the cayman the handling with PSM, PASM and steering is just ridiculous. It's like being on a roller coaster. It DID take me a while to get used to the steering feel, or lack thereof. That's one of my complaints. But like many things that matters more when reading an article or writing on the computer. Get behind the wheel and the steering is phenomenal...Chris Harris called "telepathic" which is exactly how I'd describe it. Even with electronic steering the weighted feel and handling has me giggling still when doing drives... Sounds like you had some 991 time so you probably are aware. I've literally made my wife sick driving my car on the twisties... heh The car is also very stable on the straights. Combine super stability, feel and more power and you'll find yourself driving a lot faster a lot more. There was a feeling of speed and fun in the 986 S at lower speeds that I don't get in the 981 S without picking up the pace. A base 981 would probably be more comparable.

I don't know about a 986 to 987 comparison. I did test drive a 996S long ago and didn't like the feel tho I felt the power change. I test drove a 997 GTS before I bought my Camyan... thing was wicked fast... made the Cayman feel slooowww. But I didn't like the rear feel and the open cockpit with rear seats. There's something about the fun confines of a 2 seater and the sounds of the engine right behind you. Which is last thing... probably more exhaust sound in the convertible and more engine sound in the coupe. Not that it's silent with PSE...

good luck!
comet

I will leave you with this picture from yesterday... There's still a spot in my heart for the 986 and I miss some of the feeling of it, open air, steering etc... maybe one day I will pick one up again...

Last edited by mcomet; 03-16-2014 at 04:29 PM.
mcomet is offline   Reply With Quote